Self-paced, online learning
Intermediate skill level
15 ECTS credits
Please enter your name and e-mail address to download the PDF brochure.
We enroll learners in the Web Application Development program every two weeks. To enroll for a later start date, please contact us.
Next learners start 20 June 2018
Our web application development program will teach you how to build modern
fully-functional web applications, from the visual aspects rendered in
the browser all the way through the application logic on the server,
using best practices of software and web development along the way.
It is based around Ruby on Rails, the application development framework
powering AirBnB, SoundCloud, Square and hundreds of other projects.
Each of the four courses in this program will let you demonstrate your
newly-acquired skills through a course project. ECTS credits will be awarded
to learners who successfully complete all four courses and course projects
as well as a final capstone project.
These course details are subject to change; please refer to the program
outline at the time of registration.
- HTML elements
- CSS selectors, cascade and inheritance
- Accessibility & usability online
- Progressive enhancement
- Responsive web design
- Working with forms
- Layout in both old and modern browsers
- Modular CSS using the BEM methodology
- Manipulating the DOM
- Working with JSON
- Getting started with Ruby and Rails
- The structure of the Rails framework: MVC and routing
- Creating your first Rails application
- Rails front-end basics: views and layouts
- Ruby programming fundamentals
- Rails models and databases
- Automated testing
- Further Ruby programming
- Securing applications with authentication and authorization
- Working with record sets effectively
- Handling images within an application
- Internationalize your app for different languages
- Working with third party services and APIs
- Deploying an application to production
In the capstone project, learners will need to demonstrate the ability to:
- Build well-structured CSS;
- Structure and manipulate HTML and DOMs;
- Build and test an application with core Rails concepts;
- Use automated tests to validate application features;
- Integrate third party services;
- Use databases in conjunction with ActiveRecord ORM;
- Secure a web application adequately;
- Process, validate and sanitise user input;
- Handle internationalized content;
- Build and test core Rails concepts;
- Configure and monitor a web application for development, test and production environments.
This course is taught at the intermediate level.
You should have the following skills and abilities prior to registering for this course:
- English at B2 level
- Basic programming ability and familiarity with git
- Ability to use UNIX commands to navigate and control the file system
- Previous experience with text editors such as Atom or SublimeText
Future learners should also note that the program is being taught in a MacOS environment, and
a computer with MacOS, Linux or Windows 10 running Linux is necessary in order to follow the course work.