- Self-paced, online learning
- Beginner level
- Personalized support
We enroll learners in this course on a monthly basis.
Next learners start 17 December 2018Enroll today!
This beginner-level course is designed to give you the knowledge and skills you need to solve problems with code. With video trainings, written lessons and a variety of hands-on exercises, you’ll not only learn the foundations of programming, you’ll also build a multi-project portfolio to showcase your skills.
The course is also designed to ensure that you have the prerequisite programming knowledge you would need to take any of our intermediate level programs: Applied Data Science - Machine Learning, Web Application Development or Applied Data Science - Communication & Visualization. The curriculum of the Thinking and Creating with Code course has been built with the prerequisites for those programs in mind.
- The Essentials: Key concepts in code, including variables, basic operators, lists, algorithms and other building blocks
- Setting Up Your Environment: Getting started with text editors, repositories and other tools
- Image Manipulation in Python: Using basic programming elements, such as loops, operators and conditionals, to change images
- The Basics of Web Design: Building web pages with HTML and CSS
- Open Data Web Scraping in Python: Accessing and extracting data from diverse web sources
- Data Analysis in Python: Using Jupyter notebooks and Python libraries to analyze, plot and visualize data
- Back-End Web Programming in Python: Building a web server using the Flask microframework
- Games in Python: Putting code skills to work to create animations and simple games
- Thinking When You Create: Introducing more advanced topics, such as literals, reserved words and scope
This course is taught at a beginner level. You should have the following tools, skills and abilities prior to registering for this course:
- English at B2 level
- Familiarity with operating a computer, including creating directories, moving and copying files and installing programs
- A webcam, microphone and high-speed Internet connection to stream videos and participate in video chats
- A computer with macOS, Windows or Linux